Extremely rare, no finer pianos have ever been made than those of the house of Schwechten. Based in Berlin, Schwechten pianos are prime examples of the top quality work that came out of some very small shops in Germany and Austria in the 19th century. The Schwechten line of pianos began with his elder brother Heinrich's shop in 1839. Georg Schwechten established his shop in Berlin in 1853 and specialized in exquisite hand crafted pianos such as this one. This fabulous line of instruments ended with Georg, who died in 1902.